[SEL] New Way Questions

Tim Christoff tchristoff at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 18:54:14 PST 2005

When I first asked a New Way collector many years ago how to date a New Way
he told me that if I added a year to the last patent date on the tag it
would get me in the ball park.  Since then I have seen a lot of dual
flywheel upright New Way's with an 08 as the last patent date on them so I
don't really that this is the best way to date them.  I started doing
serial number list a while back and that did not prove to work out well
either as thier numbering system didn't seem to really follow a steady
pattern.   By the early teens, it seems that the "S" series was being fazed
out in favor of the new "M" and "F" series.  Some of my catologs show that
around 1916 they were still marketing the "S" series but dewelled more on
the later as these engines were far better in the hp/weight issue.  As far
as value, that is what the buyer is willing to pay.  The 3 1/2 hp upright
dual flywheel is the most common (non of them are really common though) of
the early New Ways with their being more of them than all the other dual
flywheel sizes combined.  I've seen them offered in the last few years as
low as $600 and as high as $2400 but did not see them sell.  A few things
that will make them worth more are the things that seem to be missing the
most, muffler, tin work, check valves and the New Way oiler.  New Ways were
built from 1904 to the middle 30's with the dual flywheels models leaving
the scene in the mid to late teens.

Tim Christoff
Basehor KS.
tchristoff at earthlink.net