[SEL] Tearing up the Books

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 5 11:15:40 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnie Fero" <fero_ah at city-net.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 1:57 PM
Subject: RE: [SEL] Tearing up the Books

> Hi George,
> Gee, that's an easy one.  My serial number huh?  I'd shoot the friggin'
> thief and take back the nameplate!!  Then probably shoot 'em again for
> good measure.
 ya,  Arnie
> Arnie Fero
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, George Best wrote:
> > Are you saying if you had a engine which was missing a nameplate that
> > you wouldn't buy it ;-)  Especially if it happened to have the correct
> > serial number already on it :-)

Hi Arnie, about 25 years ago I bought a Dorman AB1 single cylinder
hopper cooled petrol engine.(Very rare but not very attractive).
It came from an Aveling Barford cable hauled ditch digging machine
I found under a Barn.
10 years later I mentioned this engine at a club meeting & said that I couldn't
date it because all that remained of the engines brass plate was just one corner
still riveted on.
At the next meeting I was given a Dorman plate with that corner missing.
The chap ( Then in his 40's) had stolen it from the machine when he was 11 years old.
Dave Croft
Warrington
England
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv