[SEL] BYB/BRB

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sat Mar 5 06:27:13 PST 2005

Hi Jim,

Ahhhhh, welcome to the subtle pleasures of this incredible hobby.

When you come right down to it, the "basics" are really simple.  You need
to provide a suitable mixture of fuel and air, usually under compression,
provide a means to ignite it, provide a means to transfer that released
energy to other equipment to do useful work, and provide a means of
regulating the whole works.

The joy and delight in the hobby is in discovering all of the
mind-boggling ways that creative engine men devised to accomplish those
basics.  In some cases a wildly different approach was the result of
creative engineering, sometimes the result of chewing on "magic"
mushrooms, and sometimes just looking for SOME way to get around the other
guy's patents and make a quick buck.  Some of these companies were very
successful and very prolific (think the IHC "M" and the Hercules / Economy
lines).  Other companies made a handful of engines and folded.

As you start out, everything is wildly different and exciting.  As the
years pass and your "shows attended" grows into the hundreds, your eye
sharpens.  Many engines you've seen hundreds of examples of.  What catches
your eye is now the odd variation on the familiar, maybe a clever
"farmer's repair", maybe a neat display of driven equipment and
literature, maybe the look of flushed excitement of a "first time"
exhibitor, and every so often, the incredible rush that comes with "What
the HELL is THAT engine????"

One thing I've learned at this point is that there is SOOOOOO much more to
learn!!!  We'll NEVER see 'em all.

And this brings me to the next point.  I think you were warned earlier
that these damn things start to multiply in your engine shed.  As you read
and reread your BYB, take notice of how many times you say "Wow, isn't
THAT engine neat.  I'd love to have one of THOSE!"

heh-heh-heh.  Your collection will grow as your funds and space permit.

ENJOY!!!

See ya,  Arnie

PS - Oh, lest I forget to mention it, perhaps the greatest pleasure in
this hobby is getting to meet and know other like-minded folks.  And one
of the very best places to do THAT is at Portland!!  Be there!  8-))

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_Ah at city-net.com