[SEL] What was your best engine trip?

Harry Terpstra h.terpstra at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 3 13:30:05 PST 2005

I just jump in late about this topic, and frankly I haven't spend much time
online lately.

George reading your first post about the most memorable engine trip, I sure
agree that a real (E) HOWT is the best an engine lover can get!
It's hard to say what HOWT was the best for me, as IMO they were all GREAT!!
The first one, was the first I was in the US. The first two days we go to
the Great Oregon steam-up in Brooks.
It was the best show I have been until that day!
The rest of the two weeks was making lots of miles seeing lots of engine's
and meeting lots of friendly engine collectors.
The first HOWT was GREAT!

The next year we made an even better HOWT going from Portland Oregon to
Portland Indiana, and back. Visting many more collectors and seeing even
better engines on this trip I must say that this is the best engine trip
ever for me. Also meeting so many people from the SEL, and others sure makes
this trip very memorable.

The next year George came over to Holland and in about 11 days we drive
about 4000 miles.
We sure see allot great collections again, but I think by than that is
already standard for any HOWT ;-)

Of two weeks later my dad and I had to make another mini HOWT to the Czech
republic, becuase George (and I) buy some engines over there.
That was another 1400 miles round trip hauling the trailer in two days.

For me the second HOWT was the best engine trip ever!!

Harry Terpstra
Sint Annaparochie
Netherlands
h.terpstra at wxs.nl