[SEL] Fairbank Morse Z Style D (ShoeBox/SaltBlock) Status Update

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Wed Mar 2 07:01:46 PST 2005

'preciate ya taking the time Francis.  Never heard of such a thing so it will be an education when I dig into mine.

RickinMt.

  Don't  quite understand shimming the valves but probably will when I dig into
   mine.
  Rick,
  Go to this site: _http:_ (http://www.old-engine.com/fmzd.htm<http://www.old-engine.com/fmzd.htm>)
  //www.old-engine.com/fmzd.htm

  14. Checking and Adjusting Valve Clearance - Remove the crankcase  cover
  (16B) Then measure the valve clearance on low cam. The clearance should be  .005"
  to .007". If necessary to adjust the clearance, remove the camshaft and
  withdraw the valve tappets (3841). Take out the disc (3844) and the shims  (1881A)
  and (1881B) from the tappet and adjust the shims to give the proper
  clearance. Shim (1881A) is .031" thick, and shims (1881B) are .003" thick. When
  replacing the shim and the disc in the tappet be sure to insert the shim first,  as
  the hard steel disc must bear against the end of the valve stem. Check the
  clearance after the camshaft has been replaced, and be sure that the gears are
  meshed properly. (See paragraph 12.)

  My  dipstick doesn't have a stop on it and  hopefully you could shed some
  light on this when yours arrives.
  The oil dipstick is made from a ½" pipe plug.  This plug has a  ¼" dia hole
  drilled through it.  The original looks like it has a large ¼"  dia cotter pin
  inserted into the pipe plug.  The fix I have in mind is to  make an ¼" dia eye
  bolt (without thread), insert into the pipe plug  hole, and then braze it to
  the pipe plug.  I intend to file a fill  mark on the part that goes into the
  crankcase.  I am going to determine the  position of this mark after I put a
  quart of oil in the  crankcase.

  Francis Maciel
  Santa Maria, CA