[SEL] O.T. But possibly of interest - Old Technology

Larry Evans lfevans at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 28 18:06:37 PDT 2005

As a lot of you know I get involved in various projects at the Mt. Wilson
Observatory.

Recently I have been helping to reassemble and restore the clockwork
mechanism that allowed the 60-inch telescope to track an object in the
sky.  In the early years it often took several hours to expose the
photographic plates and of course the telescope had to be kept moving
during the exposure to compensate for the rotation of the earth.  Take a
look at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/60clock/
to see some pictures of this device which was in use from 1908 - 1968.

Regards,

Larry Evans
Arcadia, Southern California, USA
MailTo:LFEVANS at pacbell.net