[SEL] Kerosene

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Jun 22 10:00:44 PDT 2005

I'm sceptical of the practice of using the terms "power kerosene" and "lighting
kerosene" to describe a specific product.  I've found no technical references
that utilize such nomenclature and no references that specifically describe the
characteristics of either.

In studying old texts, it is clear that "gasoline" is a word used to describe
high-end petroleum distilates and "kerosene" became a catch-all word for heavier
fuels.  "Burning Oil" has also been used to describe heavier fuels.  These are
generic terms, not unlike "beer" or "meat."  We toss the words around freely,
but without further elaboration, we don't know exactly what they mean.

One clue in our search for the characteristics of kerosene as was used in early
engines is Britain's Petroleum Act of 1873, and later 1879.  It stated that oils
for illuminating purposes would have a flash point of no lower than 73 degrees
Fahrenheit.  There were already severe restrictions on the handling of lighter
fuels.  The restrictions on "gasoline" encouraged manufacturers to build engines
that utilized "burning oils."

Robinson published the characteristics of burning oils available in Britain in
the mid 1800's.  Specific gravities ranged from 0.797 to 0.825.  Flash points
ranged from 75 degrees to 152 degrees.  Other physical characteristics varied
just as wildly.  Factors that determined the characteristics of the finished
product were the origin of the crude oil and the techniques used in refining.

Clerk states the obvious when he notes that the type of vaporizor used will be
dependent on the type of burning oil used for fuel.

A review of modern MSDS sheets reveals that "kerosene" is still a generic term
for a myriad of products.  Flash point, which I might add is only one physical
characteristic of interest to the engineman, varies from 95 to 170 degrees
Fahrenheit.

We can be certain that there was no standardized fuel that was used by engine
manufacturers.  The kerosene that Priestman was using was different than the
kerosene that Secor was using, which was different than the kerosene that Wilbur
J. Austral was using.

If we are to believe Clerk, then we must assume that the Austral fuel probably
wasn't the best fuel for the Priestman, and vice-versa.  But we must also assume
that as soon as the engine left the factory, it would be run on fuels with wide
ranging characteristics.  This would especially be true in engines that were
exported to distant locations.

Keeping that in mind the diverse fuels of the past, if we are having problems
running an old engine today, it would behoove us to look for causes other than
the chemical composition of the fuel.  With that said, if we find that an engine
runs more nicely when we sweeten the kerosene with a spash of gasoline, there is
no compelling reason not to do so.

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
mailto:rskinner at rustyiron.com