[SEL] Replacing Babbitt in M/B caps

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 09:47:54 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/20/2005 9:55:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com writes:

<< Are you pouring side thrust bearings at the same time? >>

Rick,

What I did was to make spacer shims out of head gasket material that went
tight against the crank shaft and held in place with the bearing cap bolts, but
without the caps in place.  Use babbitrite, etc., to form a dam and funnel to
pour the bottom mains.  Exit hole on the other side of course.  With crank
shimmed off floor in proper location, pour bottoms. Clean up bottom mains after
pouring, put back in gasket shims and top caps to keep top hot babbit from
ruining the bottoms as Curt said, Dam everything accordingly and pour top mains.
Put a thin wall tubing down the grease hole and dam on underside to keep the
babbit out of threads.  Pour thru tubing clean up, install regular shims, or use
the head gasket shim.  Works for me.

Like a fellow told me once, what do you have to loose, but remelt the babbit
and try again!

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com