[SEL] Sattley manual

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Wed Jun 15 14:38:32 PDT 2005

 Jim,

I wasn't saying that a high drip rate was needed as suggested by the
Sattley manual.

What I was saying is that the majority of our engines are being run at a
low speed and with no load on the engine.  For example maybe your engine
is running 100rpm and only fires every 15 revolutions. In a case like
that it is only firing about a half dozen times a minute.  It doesn't
take a lot of oil drips per minute to keep the piston lubricated.

If you take your show engine and speed it up to 300rpm, the piston is
traveling 3 times the distance per minute than it was at the low show
speed.  Consequently, the piston is now only getting one third the
amount of oil it was previously.

Lets say, you've got your engine now running at 300rpm with no load.  It
is still missing a few cycles assuming it is a hit&miss engine.  So what
happens when you put a load on it?

It has to fire more often to maintain the speed.  In fact if really
working it is firing every time and not coasting at all.

Wouldn't you think there is a difference in the cylinder oil film if the
engine is firing rather than coasting?

When the manufacture made the engine and sold it, it was expected to be
run at rated speed and working.

So doesn't it make sense for a manufacturer to suggest a higher drip
rate than what we're used to using?

George
.