[SEL] Sattley manual

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Wed Jun 15 07:41:49 PDT 2005

> Jeff,
> I thought your eBay comment was excellent!
> Reading the manual I was surprised at the factory
> recommendation of 5 drop of cylinder oil per minute per HP.
> That's WAY more than I tend to run on my engines and the
> pistons stay whetted with oil. I always figured if there was
> excess oil running into the crank sump then there was plenty
> of cylinder oil. I set mine on a few drops per minute
> regardless of HP. Maybe I'm not oiling enough.
> How about the rest of you, what kind of oil rates do you use?
> What do you use as a guide to say you're oiling enough?
> Curt Holland
> Gastonia, NC

You have to remember that the manual is intended for working engines
running at rated RPM's.  The factory was probably playing it safe by
having the piston over oiled rather than not enough.

Since we tend to run our engines much slower than rated speed and don't
work our engines like they were built to do, we tend to adjust the drip
rate to reflect the needs of a show engine.

George