[SEL] semi- OTgas tank sealer question

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Jun 13 11:06:10 PDT 2005

Bill,
I think the tank sealer you are referring to is a white rubbery stuff
that is not two part. You slosh it in the tank and pour out the excess.
I'll tell you a story that may have you reconsidering using it. When I
got my Abby tank the tank has been sloshed with the product you mention.
For some reason it did not adhere and before long chunks were coming
loose and clogging the fuel pick up line. I took the tank out and began
a LONG process of soaking it in lacquer thinner to get the stuff loose.
Then piece by piece I removed them thru the gas filler hole with a pair
of needle nosed pliers. Once done and dried I used a 2 part gasoline
proof epoxy to slosh the tank with. Joe (in Maine, can't think of his
last name at the moment) used to sell it under the QuicPoly name. It is
good stuff! I think it has changed hands and was sold under the XP2000
name for a while. I just tried and couldn't find it again on the net but
did find this product.
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I have had the 2 quarts of QuikPoly for a lot of years now and it is
good stuff. I have used it on my Ford tractor gas tank and all the gas
engine tanks as an extra insurance policy against leaks. So far it is
still in place and working well. It is very thin like water and it
allows you to slosh it all over the inside of the tank before it sets
up. It sets in a couple of minutes so you better be quick about it. I
believe your tank will have baffles within and the thick product you
mentioned may well fill in the cross over holes. The thin QuikPoly is
not as apt to do that. The this QuikPoly will also do an excellent job
of tieing (sp?) up the loose rust and grit leaving you with a clean tank.
Just my thoughts for what its' worth.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC