[SEL] OT-Amish Restraint Laws

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Jun 7 13:21:47 PDT 2005

Steve,

    If they specifically single out the Amish, they are way off base.  I
don't think it would ever hold up to a challenge.  But, thats the catch,
the Amish don't want to go to court.  Someone may on their behalf
however.  It sounds as if the local political powers that be haven't
received any campaign contributions from the Amish.....  I spent some
time with an Amish family in Lagootee, IN when I was young.  Quite an
experience not having hot running water (they did have running water as
they pumped it into a tank that sat in the attic and then it would
gravity feed down), a TV set, electric lights, etc.  But, I do remember
sitting around at night after eating and everyone talking about the day,
family, etc.  Quite peaceful and quite a change from what I was used
to.  It gave me a perspective of what America was like 150 years ago,
even before the old iron came along.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY