[SEL] List outage

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Jun 5 15:37:44 PDT 2005

Many apologies to ATIS users.  The recent outage was of a spotty,
on-again/off-again nature and was the result of many issues, culminating in
my needing a new cable run across my property.  A temporary cable was
stretched across the ground and ATIS was back up about 4:00 pm this
afternoon.  Everything is running better now than it has in a week.

By the way, If anyone wonders why I pay extra for "business class" cable
Internet access and have always recommended that no one run servers on a
home based cable service, my experience this weekend should give you a case
in point.   During my problems, I had a truck here everyday, including the
weekend, with a technician inside from the cable company.  Always within 20
minutes of my "it's down again" call.   If this was a home Internet access
package, I would have some broken down sub contractor with grubby tools,
prison tattoos, and no skills within maybe 3 days.   How do I know?
Because the latter shows up for problems with my TV and used to show up for
my Internet problems before I got business class.   The former shows up
now.

Thanks for your patience,

PS:   Part of the outage was because during these periods of declining
service levels caused by the cable, I took the opportunity to shut down the
mail software and accelerate some plans for ATIS upgrades, including
security changes that include SIGNIFICANT changes to way ATIS's servers
send and receive email.   As usual, you can be proud that ATIS is adopting
significant technologies well ahead of virtually everyone else.  Some of
these changes started last weekend during a short outage and the rest took
place yesterday and today.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!