[SEL] Bird City

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 31 17:10:07 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Back from the Bird City show. If you love steam tractors, or even
tractors, it's a great show. I wish they had more stationary engines
running and maybe I can help that out in the future. Lot of show and
tells that never got run this year.

We got to spend the best part of the day there and it was a hot one. 105
or better in the shade. The good news was my buddy was there with his
motor home. Pop in for some AC and a cold barley pop now and then. That
was a lifesaver for us. Had a great feed for dinner with all you can eat
barbecue. Also had some watermelon mid afternoon that someone was giving
away. Hate to say it, but it was better than beer at the time. Only had
four chunks myself. GREAT!

Short one got to drive a steam tractor again, and that is a highlight.
He's a little taller in the saddle now, so he got to sit in the seat.
Pretty good head of steam and he got a workout.

We got to stay for most of the tractor pull this year. This one like
many, uses people for weight, and they have to be 16 or older. They do
one pull that the short ones can ride the sled, and it was great. Think
the grand total was 50 on the sled.

The tractor parade was great and my buddy and I both saw tractors we had
never even heard of. He is a big FATG and that came as a surprise to me.
There was some pretty rare iron there.

We headed for the motel shortly before the end of the pull. Drank some
cold ones and shot the s**t with the guy in the next room for a couple
hours on the patio. Nice way to end the day. Worn out after the drive
back and still had to attend an invite this afternoon. Got that done and
ready for some soap, water, chow, and sleep.

I took 172 pictures and will sort them out later and put em up for all.
Here are a few of my favorites.

http://oldirongallery.com/BC.html

Always great to be back home.

Jeff Allen