[SEL] Re: Interesting Tool (Peter Scales)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Jul 22 22:11:01 PDT 2005

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:27:05 +0100
From: Peter Scales <peter at loud-n-clear.net>
Subject: Re: [SEL] Interesting Tool

In message <BAY5-DAV21A91BDEA54130B7022726BBD60 at phx.gbl>, Richard
Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> writes
>  We found this in spud heads FIL's shop.  Anyone want to take a guess at
>it?
>
>http://community.webshots.com/photo/60686285/399556018qgDHpU

	It is an iron age boomerang invented in Zimbabwe (Africa) about 4000 years
ago. The heavy weight was required to bring down large animals like
elephants and rhinoceros. Once the animal was down the job was finished off
with a sharp pronged device like the one in the foreground of the picture.
	Being an invention of African origin it had many flaws, the main one being
it's inability to return to the thrower if he missed the target. Legend has
it that on one such occasion one of them carried on going until it hit a
big rock in Australia. There it was found by an Aboriginal tribe who, being
far more intelligent than their African counterparts, developed one that
actually returned to the thrower. Another improvement that the Aboriginals
made was to fabricate it from wood (they had not learnt how to steal yet -
sorry I mean had not learnt to smelt steel yet.) as the kangaroos and the
like that they hunted did not need such a heavy boomerang to bring them down.

	The name "Boomerang" is actually of African origin (sorry Aus!!) and came
about from the noise an early victim heard when one hit him on the head by
mistake - "BOOM". So originally it was just known as a "BOOM". Later when
they trained monkeys to retrieve them these monkeys were called "Boom
orangatang's" and by natural progression the name was eventually corrupted
to Boomerang.

	I trust that this clears up the mystery of the "Interesting tool" and also
credits Africa as being the original inventors of the Boomerang, an idea
wrongly claimed by Australia as being theirs.

Best regards
Jerry Evans.
Databak Hard Drive Data Recovery

Databak Hard Drive Data Recovery   ----- The lower cost Data Recovery
Alternative !
We recover your LOST DATA resulting from Hard Drive Failure / Virus attack
/ Accidental or Malicious Deletion of files, Reformatting or Partition Loss
(FDISK).
We also retrieve lost passwords for most popular programmes.
Visit our site:
http://www.databak.co.za
Tel: (016)365-5787 and 083 293 7191
Tel. Intntl.: +27(16)365-5787
eMail: jerrye at cyberserv.co.za
Snail Mail: P.O.Box 521, Randvaal. 1873. Republic of South Africa

---