[SEL] RE: Paint and primer

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Jul 15 08:08:22 PDT 2005

Andy Glines wrote:

>> I have heard that clear shellac can be used as an inexpensive sealer
>> before painting. Any body had any experience with that?
>

> That depends on the kind of paint that you will be putting on top of
> it.  The PPG Delstar that I use would probably lift if applied over a
> shellac.  I suspect that the popular Dupont Imron will have the same
> problem.  Just follow the directions that come with the paint.  Makers
> like Dupont and PPG have very thorough instructions that tell you what
> you can & can't paint over.  In general, the more expensive the paint
> the more particular it is about the surface it will be applied to.
> You do not have to use very expensive epoxy primers to get good
> results for your top coat.  I typically use a rather generic lower
> cost gray primer on my stuff.  Available a automotive paint and supply
> stores.  I also use the cheap lacquer thinner for the primer and for
> clean up.

Andy,
Like the shellac, any solvent based primer is going to lift even under
the best 2 part top coats if a solvent like gasoline spends much time on
the paint. For years I used lacquer based primer surfacers on both
automotive finishes and engines. These were top coated with Dupont
Imron. This combination works fine on automobile finishes because you
rarely have scratches/chips combined with the presence of gasoline. On
engines it is a different story. This is why I have finally made the
switch to 2 part primers. This way the primer is as inert to the
gasoline as is the top coat. Nothing other than sand blasting will lift
the paint on an engine/tractor painted with 2 part primer and then 2
part color coat.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC