[SEL] Fuel pump packing material

Michael Tucker mtucker at uky.edu
Wed Jul 13 04:18:16 PDT 2005

Howdy all,

I need some help with the fuel pump on my screen cooled 4 hp IHC
Famous.  The old, dry rotted packing material that sealed around the
pump plunger reminded me of burlap sack material in that it was like
a loosely woven cloth with big threads.  Because of the design of the
pump, there is a lot of space that the packing material needs to fill
up.  I know there is a rope type of packing material but do y'all
know of any other types that would be more like the burlap cloth that
was in there that would occupy a lot of space more efficiently than
the rope?

Also, the fuel pump has a two bolt mount on it, one on each side of
the plunger, and there are two fuel line attachment fittings on each
of the two small "chambers" on each side of the plunger (this gives
the fuel pump an upside down "T" look).  In both chambers there is a
ball bearing check valve.  My problem is that the pump is not
symmetrical so which one is the inlet side and which one is the
outlet side?  Also, the pump can be mounted two different ways with
either chamber towards the head.  I doubt that in mechanical terms it
matters which way it's mounted but how was it originally mounted?

Thanks for the help,
Mike
--
Michael Tucker