[SEL] Splitdorf Magneto

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 21:17:07 PDT 2005

Hi List,
In a box of items I purchased at a sale, there is basket case  Splitdorf
magneto.  I haven't found a model number on the  brass tag.  The latest Patent
date is May 1917.  It has horse  shoe type magnets which are not attached.  It
appears to be for a four  cylinder engine.  Mounted on top of the coil there is
a square looking  condenser with a Great Britain Patent date of 1918.  It has
a manual  advance point assembly.  It appears to be very well constructed and
looks  to have been glass beaded.  The housing and mounting bracket seem to
be made of pot metal (?) and shows some slight deterioration.  To  get it in
operational condition, it would have to be reassembled and have the  magnets
charged.
By any chance does anyone have any idea on what type of engine or  engines
that would have used this magneto?  Perhap some one may have  use for this item?
 If so, please let me know off list.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria,  CA