[SEL] Cooling for Fairbanks needed.

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 08:49:24 PDT 2005

On 7/8/05, Curt <curt at imc-group.com> wrote:
> Guys,
> At our Cotton Ginning Days meeting last night we discussed several
> options for cooling our 37 1/2HP Fairbanks semi-diesel used to drive our
> cotton gin. At the bottom of this link is a picture of the engine:
> <http://www.oldengine.org/members/gamtra/cottongin.htm>
>
> Since we began using the engine we have just run city water thru it and
> dumped the water in a ditch nearby. After running for 3 days at our
> annual show this creates a big mud hole of a mess at one of the
> entrances to a field folks display engines in.
>
> One of the ideas floated was to acquire a period correct "cooler" to
> recirculate water to the engine. So I am soliciting for suggestions on
> what such a device would be and look like. Maybe someone even has one we
> can use. What would a cooler be? A wooden cooling tower with slats that
> trickle the water collected in a tank at the bottom? ORA plain wooden
> tank like this?
> <http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Illinois%20Oil%20Lease/09.jpg>
>  OR Something with a fan that creates updraft like you see in industry?
>
> We flow about 3 gallon per minute thru our engine. We really don't use
> the full HP of the engine and I would estimate we use 1/2 the HP at
> most. If anyone has suggestions on what would be the best type of period
> correct cooler, and even better where we can get one, we'd sure like to
> hear from you.
> Curt Holland
> Gastonia, NC
> Cotton Ginning Days Show Oct 14, 15, and 16th.
>
> P.S. I have estimated a cooling load of 3.3 tons (41000 BTU/hr) for the
> cooler, so this will be a small unit.

That's a bit big for a screen cooling setup, and a tank cooling system
would probably be a bit heavy, but for demo use I would certainly look
at a screen cooler, and you would need a pump to circulate the water,
unless you used exhaust pressure to do it.

Look at the figures for the latent heat of evaporation of water, you'd
be surprised how little you would need to get the heat out of the
engine.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes