[SEL] Cooling for Fairbanks needed.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Jul 8 08:18:04 PDT 2005

Guys,
At our Cotton Ginning Days meeting last night we discussed several
options for cooling our 37 1/2HP Fairbanks semi-diesel used to drive our
cotton gin. At the bottom of this link is a picture of the engine:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/gamtra/cottongin.htm>

Since we began using the engine we have just run city water thru it and
dumped the water in a ditch nearby. After running for 3 days at our
annual show this creates a big mud hole of a mess at one of the
entrances to a field folks display engines in.

One of the ideas floated was to acquire a period correct "cooler" to
recirculate water to the engine. So I am soliciting for suggestions on
what such a device would be and look like. Maybe someone even has one we
can use. What would a cooler be? A wooden cooling tower with slats that
trickle the water collected in a tank at the bottom? ORA plain wooden
tank like this?
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Illinois%20Oil%20Lease/09.jpg>
 OR Something with a fan that creates updraft like you see in industry?

We flow about 3 gallon per minute thru our engine. We really don't use
the full HP of the engine and I would estimate we use 1/2 the HP at
most. If anyone has suggestions on what would be the best type of period
correct cooler, and even better where we can get one, we'd sure like to
hear from you.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
Cotton Ginning Days Show Oct 14, 15, and 16th.

P.S. I have estimated a cooling load of 3.3 tons (41000 BTU/hr) for the
cooler, so this will be a small unit.