[SEL] OT - what is NPT REALLY........

Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon Jan 31 20:20:36 PST 2005

Bill,

    I think possibly you're both right.  Read the text below that I
copied from a site.  I think the "proper" name of NPT is "National Pipe
Taper Thread"

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY

  NPT- National Pipe Taper Threads - ANSI B1.20.1

    NPT  pipe threads - dimensions according ANSI/ASME B1.20.1

Common American National Standard Pipe Taper Threads

    * NPT - National Pipe Taper Thread
    * FPT - female (internal) National Pipe Taper threads
    * MPT - male (external) National Pipe Taper threads
    * NPTF - Dryseal American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread (ANSI
      B1.20.3)

For NPT threads a sealant compound or Teflon tape must be used for a
leak-free seal. For NPTF no sealant is needed for a sealing.

Characteristics of NPT (also known as ANSI/ASME B1.20.1 Pipe Threads,
General Purpose):

    * tapered thread 1o 47'
    * truncation of roots and crests are flat
    * 60o thread angle
    * pitch is measured in threads per inch