[SEL] re: Gear making in brief - a question

Graham Harris ozengine at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 30 19:23:00 PST 2005

Hi Rich and Tommy

N-i-c-e practical info on gears mates. I's even saved
me a copy.

Got one question that no one seems to be able to
answer for me. I would like to have a go at cutting a
cam gear for my Novo 4. Needed is a 56 tooth gear, 10
pitch and 14.5 PA I'd assume. I have a involute gear
cutter here that cuts the 54-55 tooth range (or
whatever is the standard teeth count for the numbered
cutter). So the question is...can I use this cutter
indexed correctly to do the 56 teeth? I mean, how much
"out" would it be? My understanding is that the
cutters are only exact for one teeth count and all
others in the range are close approximations.

Thanks much

Graham in Oz

http://au.movies.yahoo.com