[SEL] Sorta O/T..gear making

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Wed Jan 26 17:00:06 PST 2005

> What is the best route to take to get gear(s) made?  One is a combination
> i.e. two gears, one casting.  I also need a smaller gear...all straight cut
> teeth.  This is for manually traversing the carriage on my ole lathe.  Could
> the old ones be used for a pattern and is this something Rick Rowlands could
> do?

Rick, get a Boston Gear or Rush Gear catalog, see if the gears are available, width may be a little different, the center is adaptable also. On my lathe I machined the hub and made a ring gear out of the new gear, heated and shrunk it on and pinned it. On the double gear, if only one is bad, bore it out amd press it on a shaft, bore the new gear and press it next to it.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA