[SEL] patent search

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 04:56:18 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/20/2005 4:08:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
39sedan at sbcglobal.net writes:

<< In the past I have saw some of the U.S. patent searches  >>

Dale,

It is time consuming finding patents with just the date especially with a
slow country connection, but I have done it and have had others help doing it
too.  Go to patent office:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

Type in a "guess" patent number in the "query" box. For example, type in
400000 and see what happens.
This will bring up the patent and date. Patent item March 19, 1989
 Keep making up numbers until you find the number for the patent date you are
looking for.
Once you find a number that matches the date, then go back or forward
adding/subtracting one number at a time until you find the patent that matches the
item you are looking for.  In your case a sparkplug.  There might be several
hundred patents issued for that date because from what I can observe, all patents
issued for a particular week are given a patent date of that Monday.

There may be a simpler way, but I have not found it.

Good luck,

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com