[SEL] Not Quite OT: Gray Motor (And Hammond Organ) Trivia

ELIDAS at aol.com ELIDAS at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 04:18:43 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/20/2005 2:48:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave.croft at ntlworld.com writes:

> I love mechanical devices, electronics (mainly of the  vacuum tube sort)
> and music. I've gotten interested in old Hammond  organs, which combine
> all 3. I'm reading a book on them right now,  and learned that Laurens
> Hammond, the thoroughly nonmusical,  tone-deaf, mechanically brilliant
> engineer who invented the organ,  served as the Chief Engineer of the

I worked for a Hammond dealer when I was a kid. (52 know) I always  call it
my music career.  I delivered them. Hammond's were (are) very  popular, used by
most rock bands. The guy I delivered with was probably one of  the best blues
organists in New England. The organs had a great sound and were  known for
their extreme ruggedness-being dropped off stage was not unheard of-a  B-3 with
two Leslies was unbeatable.
  If we can figure out how to get it to Tenn I have the remnants of an  "H"
you can have.
 Mike