[SEL] Looking for maypole/whip braiding machine/now Volvo tractor

diesel at easynet.co.uk diesel at easynet.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 09:52:43 PST 2005

Quoting Curt <curt at imc-group.com>:

> George,
> Just for the heck of it I looked at the June 02 classified section and
> the tractor listing. At the bottom is a listing for a Volvo tractor!
> Ref: (Volvo tractor, 1957, new paint & tires;(Indio CA))
> I have seen several Porsche tractors but never a Volvo tractor. Anybody
> got a picture of one?
> This is a plowing tractor and not an over the road tractor, right???
> Curt

Curt:

There is a long history of tractors within Volvo as a group.

Year ago, Bolinders (Two brothers in Sweden who made semi-diesel marine and
stationary engines) merged with Munktell, who made tractors and suchlike.

The resultant company, BM or Bolinder-Munktell went on that way until Volvo
bought them up back a while, and the agricultural and earth-moving stuff always
had 'Volvo-BM' on the badges up until very recently, if not today.

There are loads of links, this one gives most of the detail:

http://www.volvo.com/constructionequipment/global/en-gb/volvogroup/history/
the+company/AB+Bolinder-Munktell.htm

Sorry if that link word-wraps.

Peter