[SEL] Spyware & Freeware

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Jan 11 07:21:13 PST 2005

Yes, Arnie - you hit the nail...........
I failed to recall the gnu and public domain stuff.
I guess I should say "beware, not all is free that appears to be free".

It will take some time, but I can get some examples........
There are warnings out there in several anti-spyware forums.

As far as "other" software that says it's free but is underhanded about it
- bearshare used to install some really nasty stuff, and allowed you to
uncheck the boxes, but it installed ANYWAY.

Adobe gets you by saying "we'll set the standards and give you a FREE
reader, but the software to create such files is really crazy expensive.
There is also a solution there as well, a truly free gnu PDF creating
tool. It's hairy complex to use, but free and creates really nice small
PDF files.

Thanks for the correctoins - points taken.

Bill