[SEL] Spyware & Freeware (Correction)

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Tue Jan 11 07:07:18 PST 2005

Alert. I am agreeing with Arnie.

I have been trying to get a friend to either buy Adobe reader or use one of
the free writers.  He says all free stuff has virus.  There is just no
convincing him.

The oldest free ware I know of is PK Zip.  (I am not sure it still is,  I
bought a commercial version of it some time ago.

TClockEx   is a handy program that I always have running.

Here is one that I think Arnie will like
http://www.web-ee.com/Downloads/Calculator/V41R8.exe

And here is one for Dave.
http://www.softslide.com/downloads/k_and_e_slide_rule.exe

Frank

At 09:05 AM 1/11/2005, you wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 bill at antique-engines.com wrote:
>
> > Watch out - some "anti-spyware" out there is actually spyware in itself -
> > it installs some of the very stuff you get it to remove!
> > How in the world do people think that someone can release FREE software?
> > Uh-huh - it's supported by marketing and advertising - "spyware" that it
> > installs.
> > EVEN spyware removers in some cases install adware and spyware!
>
>Interesting comment.  Can you provide some specific examples?
>
> > There is pretty much no such thing as REAL free software.
>
>I beg to differ.  http://www.tucows.com and http://www.gnu.org
>
>These are a couple of the oldest and most widely used resources on the
>net.  Gnu software is nearly universal in the Unix and Linux worlds.
>
>Do any of these ring a bell?  Adobe Reader, Irfan View, Spybot,
>Ad-Aware, Linux, etc.  There's even a widely used term to describe it;
>"Freeware".
>
>I think in a fit of Messianic zeal, you may have over-generalized.
>Despite the popularity of the expression TANSTAAFL, _sometimes_ there is.
>
>See ya,  Arnie
>
>Arnie Fero
>Pittsburgh, PA
>fero_ah at city-net.com
>

>--

HONOR GOD
SERVE PEOPLE
DEVELOP EXCELLENCE
GROW PROFITABLE
FOLLOWING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES

    Frank DeWitt              |  mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
    Mechanical Design      |  Phone:  585 624 3052
    LBP  INC.                   |  Fax     585 624 1038
    2365 Cox Rd.              |     N 42.9130  W
77.5164|
    Bloomfield NY 14469   |Web   http://www.lbpinc.com