[SEL] Hercules pistons and bores.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Jan 11 06:09:13 PST 2005

Have some questions about the smallest Herc pistons and bores.

On the 1 1/2 - 2 HP Herc was the bore exactly 3.250 when new?

Measuring an old piston (some wear?) the following measurements are found:
Dia. Skirt is 3.243 (.007 clearance to bore)
Dia. Land 3 is 3.238 ( -.005, .012 clearance to bore)
Dia. Land 2 is 3.236 ( -.007, .014 clearance)
Dia. at Top is 3.232  ( -.011, .018 clearance)

Do these clearances seem right for a bore of this size?

This engine has been bored to 3.264 (or .014 oversized). I have made a
new piston for it and am wondering if I should simply take the old
piston measurments and add .014 to each measurement, or if I should make
some changes.

A long time ago someone posted an old chart showing the correct step
dimensions to compensate for higher temperatures at the crown of the
piston. Is that information still around? Glenn, do you happen to have
any old Hercules information on clearances and steps for these pistons?

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC