[SEL] Seneca Falls Lathe Info??

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 20:47:44 PST 2005

Hi Alan;
     Nice Lathe! The book I would most recommend is "How to Run a Lathe",
"The Care and Operation
of a Back Geared Screw Cutting Lathe", originally put out be the South Bend
Lathe Works. Linsey has
reprints, also, but there are a lot of originals of varying vintage out
there also. It is a small book, but is
packed with a lot of concise information.
     As to the "Stud 48 out", I am not familiar with your particular lathe,
but in general the stud gear is the
first gear after the reversing mechanism on the leadscrew drive train. 48
would most likely be the number
of teeth, and out may refer to pulling one of the knobs on the headstock end
of the lathe out. 48 is a lot
of teeth for a stud gear however, on my Logan 16 thru 24 would be common on
the stud, but in looking
through the South Bend book they show as many as 64 teeth used on a stud
gear. Try rolling things over
by hand slowly and pulling out on any knobs at the end of the headstock. If
this fails, try asking at:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com
There are a bunch of friendly folks online there who can probably answer
your question off the top of their
heads. Hope this helps!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy