[SEL] Speed limiter

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Sat Jan 8 23:56:16 PST 2005

Hey Guys & Gals -

   I picked up a little trinket last November in the form of a speed
limiter for a line shaft. At first, I thought if might be an early form
of a centrifugal clutch until I saw how the flyballs were pinned. The
large pulley in the pictures would have been the driven (input) side
which spins the clutch drum. The clutch shoes, which are wood, are
mounted on the flyballs and are spring loaded against the drum. This
transmits the rotating motion from the input pulley to the output shaft
and pulley. If the speed becomes too great, the flyballs pull the clutch
shoes away from the drum, slowing the output. This unit has no markings
whatsoever other than having a lot of old red paint on it. Any idea of
age and maker? Pictures are at: http://www.oldengineshed.com/snapshot/.
I need to pour new babbitt bearings in it, but it's in excellent shape,
otherwise. If there's room for it, it might end up on the big display
trailer.

- Steve

--
Steve Gray