[SEL] More on Parkerizing, bluing, blacking, & browning iron

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Wed Jan 5 16:25:36 PST 2005

> If you want to try out the blacking solution you can make up a
> quarter of a cup in an iron tin can like a Campbell’s soup can (not
> aluminum!) using a tablespoon of lye and a like amount of potassium
> nitrate (saltpeter)

And the easiest way to get potassium nitrate (which has been severely
restricted in availability by the homeland-security types) is to go to
a farm store and look for stump remover. Pure potassium nitrate, it
fertilizes the bacteria and fungi that rot wood when you sprinkle it on
a stump. Potassium or sodium nitrate is preferable to ammonium nitrate
for the hot "bluing" because it produces little noxious fumes, but the
first two have been restricted because of their utility in making black
powder (and ammonium nitrate sales are more closely scrutinized these
days, too.)

I think it's a sad day for America that our governments (states and
localities are in on it, too) are widely restricting access to
legitimate materials that MIGHT be misused by someone with criminal
intent. (Either by legislative action, or simply by having detectives
go around to stores to "enlist their voluntary cooperation in fighting
the drug menace.") It's being done with pseudoephedrine, lye, muriatic
acid, paint thinner, denatured alcohol, ammonia solutions stronger than
the weak household ammonia, and anhydrous ammonia. All of these can be
used in making "meth," but not everybody buying them is making "meth."
But the current presumption is that you're an illegal drug manufacturer
until proven otherwise.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA