[SEL] More on Parkerizing, bluing, blacking, & browning iron

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Wed Jan 5 06:20:24 PST 2005

Howdy from 12 below..jus about right!

No, my intention was never to do the big castings.  Just the smaller items.
The bigger ones I will blast, smooth out, and paint.  Knobs, cranks, etc.
are what I was thinking of.  Rust is not a big problem here.  This lathe was
in Seattle for a while so that explains a lot.

  Yesterday the carriage came off and somewhat disassembled it.  The manual
traverse (X axis) gears are pretty much shot, but they still work.  Pretty
much down to earth straight cut gears (3) and will be looking for
replacements.  The other gears in the carriage look good..halfnut is a
little tired.  I'll paint the carriage.  Lead screw is good.

  Ways are tolerable as are the other dovetail(?) ways and guides.  The
headstock will not come apart soon..jus one item at a time.

  My biggest decision is how to mount what I'm going to call the belt
mandrel.  I believe this lathe was intended for line shaft operation as the
flat belt has to go directly above the headstock.  Some Seneca Falls "Stars"
had provisions for mounting the motor and mandrel..mine doesn't.  I really
don't want to mount the mandrel to the wall behind as I have a zillion wires
thru the studs and don't want to screw up the tunes :-).  Possibly some sort
of nice looking framework could be built and keep it freestanding.

Well, enuf for now.  Good luck on your shop Rich and THANKS MUCH!!!  I'll
try to get some more pictures posted re: the lathe.

Hopefully "Working and playing safe"

RickinMt.