[SEL] Did they ever make?

Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sat Jan 1 06:11:16 PST 2005

Hagan built some 2 cylinder engines that were set up both ways.  There
are 3 of them left, a 20, 30, and 50 HP.  The 30 and 50 are set up so
that there is always a cylinder coming up on compression.  This would
make for a smooth running engine.  You would have "bang - exhaust - bang
- exhaust - bang - exhaust....."  However, the 20 is set up different,
like the JD tractors.  On it, you have a cylinder firing, then the other
cylinder firing, then exhaust, then exhaust, then repeat the process.
So, it would be "bang - bang - exhaust - exhaust - bang - bang - exhaust
- exhaust......".  Now, here's the big question, the 30 and 50 both have
a counter balanced crank, the 20 doesn't.  This looks like it would be
just the opposite of what it should be.  If there is a reasoning for
this, maybe this is one of the reason's JD did it the way they did, to
prevent from having to do additional counter weighting of the crank.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY