[SEL] Did they ever make?

Ron Frost, Kersey, PA ron217_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 04:36:15 PST 2005

You would think so. It will be interesting to find out for sure just how they do work. Maybe a John Deere expert will chim in.
Thanks
Ron

Prepair Ltd <prepair at easynet.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 03:36:20 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>I wonder why John Deere's don't fire evenly. I think they are 90 degrees
from eachother which means they fire say at 0 degrees then the other
cylinder fires at 90 degrees, then it wouldn't fire again for 630
degrees ??? 360 X 2 = 720 - 90 for the second cylinder = 630 . So it
would fire 0 , 90, 630 , 720. Love the sound of one running at slow
speed. You just can't duplicate that sound with any other type of
engine.
>Enough
>Ron

They are almost certainly 180 degrees, same as most Lister twins. You
then get a 'bang, bang, silence, silence' sort of firing which does
sound odd but the balance is better than 360 degree cranks like the
british motorcycles had, the firing pulses were even but the balancing
was awful.

I think the big Fairbanks-Morse up at the Mount Wilson observatory has
360 degree cranks if my memory isn't too bad.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK
prepair at easynet.co.uk
http://www.prepair.co.uk

Ron Frost
Kersey, PA
 http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4070123&a=30427007&f=0

  http://community.webshots.com/user/ron15846

" Collector of other peoples cultured merchandise "