[SEL] Fairbank Morse Z Style D (ShoeBox/SaltBlock) Status Update

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 21:00:27 PST 2005

Hi List,
For the last two days, I have been doing a "dry run" in  reassembling the
Fairbank Morse Z Style D (ShoeBox/SaltBlock) as the replacement  parts are not
here yet.  This reassembling activity has been an eye opener  for me.  The
repIacement crankshaft gear seems to mesh OK with the camshaft  gear.  The rod
bearing seems to match with the crankshaft journal.   The valve clearances have
been set using shim stock.  With the crankshaft,  camshaft, connecting rod, and
piston in place, I am able to turn the engine over  and nothing is binding.
I even found the timing magneto  mark which I couldn't find other day.
The next thing that has to be done is to  dynamically check out the magneto
on the bench.
The oil dip stick also has to be replaced as the original one was
deteriorated due to standing water in the crankcase.
Hopefully, I will be ready to install the replacement parts when  they
arrive.  After governor spring and throttle shaft spring arrive  and are installed,
I'll be able to adjust the governor to  throttle butterfly linkage.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA