[SEL] Re: Literature on Old Engine - Ethics Question

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sat Feb 26 12:47:26 PST 2005

Hi Dave,

Of course this isn't a legal issue dealing with copyright.  That's why I
said it was a matter of ethics.  It doesn't matter what Ed paid for the
material that he reproduces and sells.  In fact, I really wish he had some
originals that he copied from, then maybe the quality of the copy wouldn't
be shit.

Ethical - In accordance with the accepted principles of right and wrong
governing the conduct of a group.

My issue is simply this.  Ed gathers and sells lots of parts & literature.
In that way he supports all of us in the hobby.  If he makes a few bucks
profit, so much the better.  I don't think its ethical of us to give away
what he's trying to sell.  For example, folks might choose to put
copies of his entire literature inventory on the web for anyone to use.
What's the problem with that?  We're just screwing someone who supports
the hobby.  That just goes against my ethical sense.

If others don't have any ethical qualms about that, that's their business.
BUT, if they insist on giving that material away, perhaps they could at
least take Ed's catalog numbers off the front.  Leaving them on is just
incredibly tacky.

See ya,  Arnie