[SEL] Re: Literature on Old Engine - Ethics Question

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:17:43 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:58:30 -0500, Dave Rotigel <rotigel at alltel.net> wrote:
> Hi Arnie
>         If there ever was a copyrite on either it's LONG ago expired. Ed
> has NO MORE right (legal or ethical) to the literature than does anyone
> else. Had Ed paid for it then it might be a different story--believe me, Ed
> paid NOTHING for what he reprinted.
>         Dave
> PS, For Peter to "pull" the items when ONLY one person has
> complained/bitched/moaned about them shows where he is coming from!

Hi Dave:

I took the action I did because I accepted Arnie's word about the
books, and took account of his comments. Nobody else apart from
yourself, Jim Dunmyer or a couple of other folks would have been able
to influence what I did, especially after spending an hour or so on a
Saturday rewriting the web pages! :-))

I have commented before on copying and copyright, and there has been a
fairly balanced view on the pros and cons of putting stuff on the web.
In the case of Oldengine.org I have only the role of helper to Jim
Dunmyer, I do not make the policy for the site, that is Jim's job.

I felt that Arnie's comments were valid enough to warrant immediate
action, subject to Jim's concurrence. I do not know the person
concerned, Ed Deis at Hit 'n Miss Enterprises, or the circumstances
surrounding his business etc etc., I have to take Arnie's word for
that.

As these have been available for some 6 years or so without previous
comment or question, I was a little surprised, but better to take this
seriously for now than cause problems for everyone later on.

The files can be restored at any time, I have copies stored on Oldengine.

Thanks for your comments, I did appreciate them! :-))

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com