[SEL] Re: Literature on Old Engine - Ethics Question

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sat Feb 26 10:49:26 PST 2005

Hi Folks,

I've got a problem with two of the items that are listed in this handy
dandy collection of literature.

Specifically, the Bessemer Oilfield Engine manual and the Wico EK manual.
In my opinion we have no business putting those on the web or keeping
them there.
http://www.oldengine.org/docs/Bessemer_Ox_OM.pdf
http://www.oldengine.org/docs/Wico_EK_OM.pdf

The reason that I strongly object is that these are items that Ed Deis
sells at Hit & Miss Enterprises.  Notice the "L03" and the "L43" in the
upper right hand corner of the cover pages?  Those are Ed's "Catalog
Numbers."  http://www.hitnmiss.com/22.htm
He lists L03 for sale for $15 and L43 for $3.

Do we REALLY need to rip someone off who provides so many parts and so
much literature to the hobby?  Come on, if you want a copy of those
manuals, send Hit & Miss $15 or $3.  If you're in this hobby to any
extent, even $15 isn't gonna break the bank.  Hell, I spill beer worth
more than that on a typical engine show weekend!

How about it folks?  Take those off the web.  Let's not cut the hobby
suppliers who do so much for us.  In fact, why not add a link to Hit &
Miss's Literature page and push some business Ed's way?

See ya,  Arnie

PS - PLEASE don't go into a long song & dance about where the scans came
from or how long they've been on the web.  Frankly, I don't care.  I think
keeping them on the web now is the wrong thing to do.

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com