[SEL] Fairbanks Morse Z Style D (Shoe Box/Salt Block) Status Update

rdhaskell at juno.com rdhaskell at juno.com
Sat Feb 26 09:29:26 PST 2005

 Hi Francis.
" Timing Magneto- When replacing the crankcase cover, care must be taken
to mesh the magneto gear properly.  Precede as follows:  Turn flywheel
until piston is moving toward cylinder head on COMPRESSION STROKE to a
position where the mark on the rim of the flywheel lines up with the
joint between the cylinder base casting and the crank case cover.  See A
on diagram 99ZAD2.  ( you can see that can't you)  Remove the pipe plug
from crankcase cover at the side of the magneto gear and turn the gear so
that the mark on the gear comes in front of the inspection opening.  See
B on diagram 99ZAD2.  Then drop the cover in place, making sure that the
marks do not move from position.  NOTE:  the speed regulator lever must
be shifted to a position nearest the flywheel when the cover is dropped
in place.

If you need a picture of the diagram let me know.  And good luck.

Ron Haskell
rdhaskell at juno.com
Riverside, California
USA