[SEL] Patterns #5

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Feb 23 12:26:41 PST 2005

Richard Strobel wrote:

>Couple questions please:
>
>1.  At what size X,Y, or Z axis, does shrinkage come into play?

Rick,
It's on all axis (no clue how to spell the plural of axis). In other
words it is the same all directions. Best bet when you start making
patterns is to get a patterns makers scale for the shrinkage you are
going to be working with. If cast iron for example it is 1/8 per foot.
You measure off 10" and it will the correct size shrinkage accounted for.

>2.  I assume you glue the 1x,s together as larger bass wood is not
>available.

When I started this a cabinet maker buddy helped me and we used the
materials he had. That was bass wood planned for whatever thickness
cabinet makers use.

>3.  Have you ever tried any other wood than bass, and if so, what was it?

Poplar is my favorite to work with. I did buy some spanish cedar too.
It's fine to work with and very aromatic. Makes the shop smell great!

>4.  How do Missy and Devin feel about moving out west where things don't
>rust so bad<vbg>

I'd love to move to a dryer cooler climate, especially one that gets
real cold and snowy in the winter. Aging mother confines my wandering
gene. Someday we will experience life in other regions of the country......

>Will get down to the "Pattern Shop" soon and get some photo's..One will be a
>large "Ships Wheel" and a huge firebox bulkhead with 4 doors.  Think you'll
>like'em.

In one of the pattern books I was reading when starting this process,
was a picture of a pattern used to make the air intake for a huge ship.
It must have been 8' in diamter and doG knows how long. Can you imagine
the ladle to pour this! How about the flasks to ram it!