[SEL] rear tool post...deviates!!!!

Jim and Diane jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Mon Feb 21 08:59:34 PST 2005

OK the reaction is different but it should not make any difference unless
you are depending on gravity to hold the spindle in one place.
The main reason for the rear tool post is convenience and speed.  On a
turret lathe the cut off tool is almost always upside down and mounted in
the rear.  This allows room for 4 tools in the front square turret.  If this
is done right the rear tool is in the correct position to cut off when the
last front tool has finished whatever it is doing.  I ran a turret lathe
many years ago, the foreman had strongly held feelings about doing things
fast and I had this principal very firmly brought to mind on several
occasions.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, CA