[SEL] OT - new toy (will be stationary much of the time.......)

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Feb 17 05:00:17 PST 2005

Well, Jeff - to me restore is to put back into a condition that reflects
what it could have been like when it was new. That means to be equipped as
the factory did, and any options be period options or dealer or factory
options. That being said, the high-output Mallory coil IS a "group 19"
factory option. Well, it's an option listed by the factory with a factory
part number but was dealer installed. Same for the R4B aluminum intake
(made by Edelbrock for AMC with AMC part number). The carb, however WAS
changed later - it may have been equipped with a good Holley carb. Someone
in the 90's put the Edelbrock on. It's jetted and calibrated for high
performance street applications. Eventually, when I can afford, I'll
attempt to find a good Holley, but those are expensive and tougher to jet
and maintain.
The dual point setup was also a group 19 option and those cars often were
equipped with them. I may indeed go to a Pentronix sort of setup -
electronic but make NO mods to the distributor appearance. You see only a
box on the fender.

I'm thinking of removing the white guard strips someone added along the
sides of the car at some point. They break up the lines of the car and
interfere with the rally stripe setup. Besides, one came off anyway.

The vinyl top was replaced in about 1992 and is in good shape. Original
trunk mat is there and trunk has original spatter finish and space-saver
spare.

I found out that this car requires 91 octane or better gas - there goes
the wallet........... it's a higher compression engine. Got a pair of
free-flow exhaust manifolds coming for it from a 71. May opt for the
Trendsetter sidepipe option (also an option for this car) There are
outfits making them again.
It needs new carpet (faded and very discolored), the headliner as I
mentioned is sagging, the dash overlay is coming loose near the glovebox.
There are a couple of small tears at the seams in the seat on the drivers
seat. There is indication that rust is starting behind the rear wheels at
the bottom edge of the quarter panels. The radiator is clean inside,
transmission was rebuilt about 1,000 miles ago (seals and rings had
hardened), it's got torque links - rare for a Javelin, a regular thing for
an AMX. (those prevent rear spring wind up and allow these to pull the
front wheels up)
Dealer option tissue dispenser, dealer installed rally pack gauges, dealer
installed rear window defog option, factory 8 track, Go pack 140mph spedo
(yeah, right with a low gear rear end!) and tach, heavy-duty cooling
system.

I'll be looking for a pair of Tung Sol headlights for it. That was the
original brand used.

Needs a blower motor really bad, otherwise no heat or defrost! BRRRR. So
looking for a good used blower motor for an AMC with A/C

Otherwise, a person could simply drive it now......

I'll be taking more photos and posting them soon.

Yes, TLC is really what it needs, there isn't much major to do.

Bill