[SEL] Cylinder repair.

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Mon Feb 14 02:57:36 PST 2005

How do ya'll feel about cylinder repair? I've sleeved most of the engines I've done because it doesn't cost me much and because they were so rusty it was the best way out. The flame spray rig I have came from the local sugar mill when it closed, I've only used it for shafts, haven't got the nerve to try a piston yet. The engine I bored for myself with the new machine was a five inch bore, was going to sleeve it but it cleared out nice at 5 1/8". Have to make a piston anyway and the wall still measures .520" thick. I guess that's why a 6hp engine ways 600lbs. I made a pattern and core for the popular marine engines we use, but that was mainly to go to lighter aluminum pistons. What's the max feasible amount you can flame spray a piston?
J.B. Castagnos