[SEL] OT (Maybe) - Home Workshops & Equipment

Leroy C. oldengin at udata.com
Sun Feb 13 14:21:03 PST 2005

Gday
    Well I hope it is not to late to get into this thread...   BUT IMO
the best part of any home workshop is the desire to WANT to do and or
build something. Most of you who know me know that all I have is junk,
and build junk. But the most important item in my shop is the idea that
I can build and work with something. I do not have all the fancy stuff,
and I enjoy some of the challenges that are created every time an idea
pops into my little peabrain. I was told once that long long ago many of
the people of this world had little, they claimed to not even have
electric! Now I know this is a lie and that they had the equipment to do
what they did, but due too government intervention never told the rest
of the world. I was told of a peddle metal lathe that sat in the
Portland show that was operated like a treadle sewing machine, again
another smoke and mirror item, that the owner allowed only one other
fellow to run! Hmmmm  I would love to talk with him.
Now my point  The great machines and great workshops are something that
someday I would maybe like to have, but trust me I have seen people
build some great things with little bits of nothing. I know of one
fellow who claims to have built over 40 engins from cutting up old
Briggs, along with many other great models.  And another fellow who has
build 35 different models and even given some of them away with bits of
nothing to work with. I also know a fellow, with a very very nice work
shop, who purchased 6 model engin castings and set out to build and sell
5 to keep the business going and he still has, at my last chat with him,
all of them and has butchered them badly and will probably get scrap
price for them. Now the kicker do not get  yourself into the idea you
have to "OWN" the best equipment to do something, you have to have the
desire. Have I told you about the engin plans that I have been drawing
on for over 7 years now? Yes I did lay out some basic ideas, and this
one is a keeper!
PS my most important item in the work shop is my hacksaw!!!!!  BTW  who
out here is left handed? and has anyone else ever heard of a left handed
pencil?

--
		C-ya

		  Leroy Clark

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give."
            W.A. NANCE

better look here--- http://www.oldengine.org/members/lclark