[SEL] Re: OT more "privacy" issues to worry about

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Feb 9 20:07:18 PST 2005

I hate to say it but that has been available for a LONG time. If you
really want an eye opener keep in mind that with nothing but your name
and a general location you can find most folks. And for 10 bucks more
you can get even more info.

Take a look at  http://www.anywho.com/

To stay off these listings (TRY to find me, you won't even if you had my
phone number)

1. Pay the money for an unlisted number OR list it under something
ike  -  Pfeiffer B.  NO ADDRESS INFO.
2. Don't post your full name online unless you have a very common name.
Mine is VERY common.
3. When you need to use a phone number online (say for some outfits that
want your phone number and e-mail. Use 888-888-8888 (in the US) and set
up at least one dump box on Yahoo or Hotmail.

Most of it is common sense stuff. 99 percent of the sites use normal
public information to build the databases. Starting with phone numbers
(notice anywho is AT&T)
The mapping is done mainly with online services which are not very good
without a real good address.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,
he'd have become a vegan.