[SEL] Re: OT more "privacy" issues to worry about

William J Pfeiffer Sr old_iron at msn.com
Wed Feb 9 19:10:05 PST 2005

A friend of mine of more than 20 years just sent me this and I thought I
would share. We are both named Peg and she calls me Mom.

Peg Pfeiffer

Nice to know!
Subject: Phone Numbers - give Maps to your home

Google has implemented a feature wherein you can type someone's
telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be
given a map to their house. Everyone should be aware of this!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before
forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
google.com. My phone number came up, and when I clicked on the Yahoo
link, it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up
your own number. Read below for details.

Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number,
someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The
safety issues are obvious, and alarming. In order to test whether your
phone number is
mapped, Go to: http://www.google.com  Type your phone number in the
search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK
Google from
divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon
next to your phone number. Removal takes 48-hours. If you are unlisted
in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just
to check. If your number does come up if you hit map, it will show you a
direct map to your house...