[SEL] Just how do you feel about your club?

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Thu Feb 3 04:35:59 PST 2005

I would like to know how other club members approach a situation that arose
the other night.
I attended the annual general meeting, I travelled 400 km to do so but
that's my choice.
Our club is the oldest club in West Australia and has some history. In the
early days each member had a distinctive club badge . Even though it was an
engraved plastic material ,it did have the club emblem  and the members
name. A recent move in the name of cost cutting has been to issue members a
new '' badge ''. I prefer to call it a name tag......it is laminated
cardboard with the members name printed, no engraving as in the old one.
This move to the cheap name tag was instigated by a very small majority who
did it as far as i am aware in an undemocratic way. I along with some like
thinking fellow members raised our objections to this cheap and tawdry
excuse for a Club Badge. It was put to the vote and we lost
.............possibly we are considered Left Wingers!
My feeling, along with some others feel that as a matter of pride we should
wear something better than a bloody cardboard name tag.
WE are not giving up on this and will continue the fight.
As an aside the majority of members wear a club shirt at shows ............i
along with others refuse to do so. My reason, either you get the grease and
oil from your own engine or some ones else's over these shirts and of course
that really looks shithouse. So i wear overalls.
I would like to hear what others think about this issue.
Peter Ogborne
Little Grove ,Albany
West Australia
''Heart of the Rainbow Coast ''