[SEL] Accurate (A&E) Magneto Testing

Larry Holderman l-d-holderman at kconline.com
Tue Feb 1 17:33:31 PST 2005

I am working on a Accurate aka: A&E magneto off of a Mogul 1hp.  The engine
will start without any problems on a coil and battery and when you switch it
over to the mag it will not run much at all.  The ignitor has all new mica
washers and adjusted and works fine.  I have had the magnets charged with a
large magneto charger and they have lots of pull.  I have the armature out
of the mag and all the collector brushes and the parts that they ride on are
clean and in excellent shape.  From what I have been told that it looks like
I might have bad coil windings...   My question is how do you check and
armature and windings?? And if it is the windings who can do this kind of
winding repair??  I have also been told that they are harder to rewind than
other mags but I don't know this to be true.

Thanks for any help

Larry Holderman
Warsaw, Indiana
USA