[SEL] Flywheel dangers

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 18:37:10 PST 2005

Hmmm....
 Generally "dual fuel" machinery is  designed to "start" on (then expensive) gasoline and then be  transferred to operation by a (then) less expensive fuel source for  long-term use.  I guess we agree that the "then" -vs- "now" factor  throws a monkey wrench into the mix.  Why bother to argue the  point, after all?  It is meaningless now.

 JC...I have a  sneaking suspicion that, if I put my mind (and body) to it, I could  unearth hundreds of engines within (let's just say) a fifty mile radius  of my home.  Should I bother with such an exercise or is it just  better to let these sleeping dogs lie?  Seriously...what do you  feel?

  Jm

John Culp <johnculp at chartertn.net> wrote:  >   **   I assume that you meant to say kero or distillate, no?

Mine specifies on its label "Gasoline or Kerosene." "Distillate"
certainly covers a lot of ground, but generally meant heavier
distillates than kerosene, like "Gas Oil" or what we now call Diesel
fuel. I've tried running my M on Diesel. Doesn't work for crap.

There were a number of carbureted engines designed to run on heavy
distillates, but they commonly employed additional measures to handle
them, like exhaust-heated intake air. Engines designed for the heavier
distillates were often generically termed "Oil Engines," of which the
Diesels are a subclass.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA